I cooked again…I still hate it and here’s another reason why:
I hate putting the time and effort into cooking something and then I’m unhappy with it—waste of my time and I’m still hungry!
I made a Chicken and Rice casserole that I found on Pinterest (this is the link to the actual site and recipe). It looked good, easy, and fast.
It was pretty fast and easy, but I was not at all pleased with how it turned out (which is why I didn’t even bother with pictures). I do have to add a disclaimer that I did change some things which could have contributed to the soupiness.
Here’s what I did differently from the instructions:
- I cut up chicken breasts and cooked them with the onion and added a little smokey chipotle tabasco sauce for some flavor
- I used the frozen, pre-cooked rice I had (I didn’t warm it up before I mixed it in—perhaps that ice crystals caused a prob…)
- I used diced green chilies from a can and only used 2 tbsp (prob could have used the entire can; perhaps straining them really well would help…)
- I chopped up fresh cilantro and parsley and used a half and half ratio to make the ¼ cup. (I’m not a fan of cilantro, but I wanted the flavor to be there at least a little)
- I thought it needed a little something more and I had a can of diced tomatoes, so I strained out as much juice as I could and added some of those
Then I baked it–I started with 50 minutes because the beginning of the recipe said 60-70 minutes for cooked and then the body said 45-50 minutes…I had to cook mine for 80 minutes and it was still soupy. It did firm up a little more as it cooled, but there was just too much moisture. It was bland—definitely needed some spice and salt…
The husband said it was okay and, with some tweaking, he’d eat it again. Needless to say, I don’t think I even want to attempt it again.
I did learn something, though: don’t screw around with the recipe the FIRST time you make it otherwise it will probably be the last.
I am going to try again tonight: Shredded Buffalo Chicken—we’ll see…have I told you lately that I hate cooking…
Please visit my blog to see the rest of this post!