What I’ve Been Up To

I’ve been gone for three days, and I feel a little guilty for not blogging; not to mention that I’ve been feeling like I’ve been forgetting something!  Saturdays and Sundays I waitress or hostess at THE BEST ITALIAN RISTORANTE AND PIZZERIA AROUND: Mamma Maria’s.  It’s the time of the week when I get to be with adults, have real conversation, get dressed up, and have fun!  And, it also gives me a way to support my extremely expensive sewing, knitting, and crafting habit (which, any of you who do any of those things know, it can get quite pricey very quickly) —I am not the type of woman to let her creativity be stifled in any way by something as trivial as monetary constraints ;).   

So, I worked this weekend and then went and spent all of my hard-earned money on our next, and currently being executed, DIY project: our bedroom.  Now, we have been in our house for nearly two years, and while I’ve finally resigned myself to the fact that we’re going to be here for a while, we have yet to finish everything.  So, with spring on the way and my undeniable urge to clean becoming harder and harder, we decided it was time to channel all that energy into a project to make our home more of a reflection of ourselves. 
We picked our bedroom first, over the Robug’s room and the living room and the dining room and the bathroom, because we NEED a new mattress.  After talking to my mom and doing some small calculations, the hubby and I discovered that our mattress is between 15 and 18 years old—it’s no wonder why we feel old because of our aching backs!  We wanted to upgrade to a king size (damn kids take up the whole bed!) and to get a memory foam mattress.  So, the mattress comes today—we got it from amazon.com and, because of our Prime Membership, we got free 2-day shipping.  We most likely won’t be able to sleep on it tonight because it’s not even here yet, but it’s still exciting.  It gives us tonight, though, to finish the first project we’ve had to complete for the new bed, and it’s one we didn’t intend on having to complete: a bedframe. 
We’ve already established the fact that I’m cheap in my post about redecorating The Robug’s room, so deciding on a bedframe was no different.  We were going to use the frame we currently have, expand it to the king size, throw some plywood down, and put the whole thing on risers.  Done.  Would only have cost about $20.  Well, the problem we came across was that our frame was only for twin, full, and queen—no king.  Oops.  So, we had to come up with something else; purchasing one was not an option because the cheapest one we could find was $60 on amazon.com—nope, not after I already had to buy new sheets and a new mattress protector and just spent $60 on fabric.  Being the unafraid DIYers we are, the hubby got out his calculator, pencil, and paper and we designed a cheap frame out of 2x4s. 
And that’s where we currently are—I’m hoping to post a tutorial for a “DIY Bedframe for $30.00” tomorrow once we finish tonight.  The next step, then, is to complete the headboard which was originally on the agenda.  I hate how a bed looks on just a frame, up against the wall, but I am also not willing to spend money on good furniture right now—I mean, come on, let’s be realistic: The Robug would, will, has already done, and probably will continue to color on everything.  I’d probably turn into psycho-crazy-angry-screaming mommy if she colored on something I actually spent money on, so I’m just going to prevent that all together.  Using all of the inspiration I’ve found on Pinterest, we are going to create a headboard that hangs on the wall that appears quilted with these fabulous fabrics we bought yesterday:

I will have you know that the hubby chose the dark purple for our color (the pictures were hard to take to get the colors to show well), and chose all of the fabrics (except the velvet).  I’m so proud of him; he chose well (I knew he would).  The best part, though, was the price: $60.00 total.  I bought nearly seven yards of home decor fabric and four spools of thread!  Hancock Fabric had a fantastic sale–our total savings was $40.00.  LOVE IT!!!
     We are also going to build a wood frame around the headboard and have a mantel above it for books, phones, etc…I am intending to publish that on the blog as a tutorial as well, but it will take some time to get it all done.
     We have a lot of plans for our room, so keep checking in: quilt recover, pillow shams, lamps, Scrabble Tile pillows, photo pillows, etc…
     In addition to all of this, I have a bunch of designs ready for the Spring/Summer 2012 line over at Robug Couture, so I’m drafting patterns and looking for fabrics.  I am also working on a Steampunk Bridesmaid outfit for a friend that I will be talking about on here as well, so Gingerland is quite busy!  Stay tuned!

****************As I was getting ready to post this, UPS pulled up with the mattress!  This is why I waited to post:

THIS is how a king-size memory mattress is delivered.  I cannot wait to see how this looks.  I have to wait for my hubby to get home to get it into the bedroom because it weighs over 70 pounds and I’ll hurt myself if I try to get it any further 🙂


Linked to:One Project at a Time @ A Bowl Full of Lemons

Please visit my blog to see the rest of this post!