Last I heard, Satan is vacationing somewhere in Chicago because he had to follow the heat. Apparently hell has frozen over…damn that global warming . Global warming or not, this heat is relentless so The Robug needed some new shorts and tank tops to keep cool and still be trendy at the playground 😉
I went to my various Pinterest boards to gather some inspiration and decided these would be awesome short shorts that are not a diaper cover.
However, this tutorial and pattern is for adults so I had to make a pattern. I took the pattern that I already have for the Victoria Pantaloons and modified it by bringing up the crotch, shortening the legs, and shortening the waist. I used two pieces of 1/4″ elastic on the waistband. I dropped the waistband down to be around The Robug’s hips because she’s been getting a heat rash around her belly where the waistband typically is, but I also angled it a little lower in the front and a little higher in the back to still cover most of her diaper. (We are working on learning to use the potty, so I’m hoping these will be easy to get on and off as well). Instead of using a ribbon on the legs as the model pair does, I used 1/8″ elastic because ribbons are not practical for my toddler :).
Then, because I ended up with the adorable little shorts, I just had to make her that cute little tank top to go with them! I had bought this striped jersey knit with the intention of doing something with it to go with the orange fabric I used for the shorts. Luckily, this knit is very, very light (just slightly heavier than “tissue weight”) and the white strips are actually a knit lace, so it’s very airy–perfect for a heat wave.
As any good sewer does, I grabbed a shirt that fits The Robug and used it as a basic pattern. Then, I dropped the front neckline down an extra 1/4″, dropped the back neckline down about 2.5″, I changed the curve of the armscye so that is wasn’t so deep, and gave a little more curve to the sides.
When I cut out my pieces, I added 2″ extra to the length and gave the bottom more of a curve. Assembly is simple! With right sides together, sew both side seams and shoulder seams. If you are not working with a serger (like me!)–here’s what I do when working with jersey: I always give myself a 1/2″ seam allowance so that I can stretch the fabric vertically just slightly as it goes through the feed dogs. I also use a walking presser foot, a jersey/ball point needle, silk thread on top, and wooly nylon thread in the bobbin. I loosen my tension and use a narrow zig-zag stitch. I’ve yet to have problems with this method 🙂 (knock on wood…).
To finish the neck and arm holes, I cut 1″ strips of fabric and, matching raw edges and right sides together (if your jersey has a right side), pinned it along each of the arm holes and the neck. Then sew the pieces together using a 3/8″ seam allowance.
Press the seams you just made to the inside (wrong-side) of the garment. Fold in the raw edge of the strip you just attached to the seam and press; then fold it in again, press, and pin in place. In essence, you are attaching a double-fold piece of bias tape :). I cannot remember where I found this method because I’ve been using it forever. I have no idea if it’s right, but it works and looks good, so there ya go!
And it’s done–a perfectly adorable outfit for a girl that does not include pink or purple, is cool and comfy, and is liked by The Robug (meaning she’ll actually wear it!) Here’s a couple more pictures–please forgive us, with the heat there is no “good time” to take photos 🙂
I think she likes it 😉 Thanks for reading and, as always, let me know if you have any questions!